Don't Get a Las Vegas Wedding License - Come to Hawaii!

Hawaii Wedding License Info for Your Maui Wedding

Our Hawaii Wedding Planner BLOG -- Keep up to date with
what's happening as you plan
your wedding in Hawaii
Read over this information and be sure that you understand the basic legal issues about your wedding. page.

"Is a Hawaii wedding license legal elsewhere?"

ANSWER: Yes, a Hawaii wedding is recognized throughout all the other US states and territories and all foreign countries. But if you are not a US citizen, you should contact your country's consulate. You may also contact the State of Hawaii licensing department. That number is 808-586-4544. Please do this prior to your wedding date to make certain whether or not there is any special documentation required by your home country.

"How do you obtain a Hawaii wedding license?"

ANSWER: You will need an appointment with an official Hawaii marriage license agent (the license is not available from the minister or officiant). The fee for the license is $65 in cash payable directly to the Hawaii licensing agent. The appointment takes about 20 minutes and the license is good for 30 days from and including the date of its issuance. So you can get married in Hawaii immediately after obtaining your Hawaii wedding license. The license is valid anywhere in the State of Hawaii. (Some of our Hawaii wedding couples who come into Maui on a cruise obtain their license in Honolulu).  

"Must I be a Hawaiian resident to get a Hawaii wedding license?"

ANSWER: No. There are no residence or citizenship requirements to be married in Hawaii.

"Are blood tests required for a Hawaii wedding license?"

ANSWER: No blood tests are required in Hawaii.

"How old must you be to get a Hawaii wedding license?"

ANSWER: The legal age to be married in Hawaii is 18 years for both males and females. However, with the written consent of both parents, legal guardian or family court, the male or female may be married at 16 or 17. The parents or guardian do not have to reside in the state. Consent forms may be obtained from the Hawaii marriage license agent.

"Will I need proof of age for a Hawaii wedding license?"

ANSWER: Yes. A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented to the Hawaii license agent for anyone 18 and under. For anyone 19 and over, proof of age may be requested in the form of an ID or driver's license.

"What proof of divorce do I need for my Hawaii wedding license?"

ANSWER: If you have been divorced within the past six months, you will need to bring the divorce decree with you for the Hawaii wedding license appointment.

"Do I need a Hawaii license for a vow renewal ceremony?"

ANSWER: No. Because you are already married, a vow renewal ceremony is just between you and your spouse. But like your marriage ceremony you may likely be asking for God's blessing.

"What do I do with the Hawaii wedding license?"

ANSWER: You must bring your Hawaii wedding license to the wedding site. (If you forget it, the minister can't perform the ceremony). After your Hawaii wedding ceremony, the minister will take responsibility for having you fill out the license (showing your names after marriage) and then filing it with the State of Hawaii. The State of Hawaii will then mail the fully executed marriage license to you after several months.

"What if I need a copy of my Hawaii wedding license certificate earlier?"

ANSWER: To have proof that you are married back home, you might want to pay an extra fee to the State of Hawaii ($10) to get them to expedite their processing of your marriage certificate. As the state is slow in making that documentation available, many couples do this. Your Hawaii wedding license agent will provide you with a green form that you can mail off to the State of Hawaii after your wedding.

"What names must we take after the wedding?"

ANSWER: That's entirely up to you. The wedding license is a legal document in which one or both people can change their names. Whatever you want your name to be after your marriage--you can do it on this legal document. We've performed wedding where both the grooms and the brides have changed their names.
For example, if John Doe is marrying Mary Smith, she might want to be known as Mary Doe-Smith or Mary Smith-Doe. Or he might want to become John Smith or John Smith-Doe. You probably will want to talk this over before the ceremony so that you will know exactly what you will want your new married names to be after the ceremony.
"Should I get married in Las Vegas?" (Bonus Question)
ANSWER: Do you really want to have a cheap Las Vegas wedding? Explore the incredible difference of coming to Hawaii for your wedding. Maui is so much more romantic than Vegas. Many couples are realizing that a Hawaii wedding offers so much more value than a Las Vegas wedding.
To return to the Hawaii Ministers page, click here:

For booking information, call:
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4047
In Canada: 1-800-920-0611
Local: 1-808-575-2002
FAX: 1-808-575-9744

120 Peahi Road, Haiku, HI 96708

                                 Hawaii Wedding Planner    Hawaii Wedding Planning